Nutrients - especially nitrogen and phosphorus - are key water quality parameters. Nitrogen and phosphorus have significant direct or indirect effects on plant growth, oxygen concentration, water transparency, and sedimentation rate. Excessive use of fertilizers containing nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium may be harmful if ingested by humans and animals. Therefore, although these nutrients are vital to the survival of aquatic organisms, the nutrients in the water still need to be tested to ensure that their content remains safe.
Alfa Chemistry can provide services to test a range of nutrients in the water, including nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and sulfate. Our state-of-the-art laboratory uses ion chromatography, automatic calorimetry, and total Kjeldahl nitrogen technology to provide fast and accurate results for water quality testing.
Nitrogen in Water
The main role of nitrogen in organisms is the synthesis of protein and DNA. Plants also use this substance in photosynthesis. Nitrogen in water can come from organic and inorganic sources. Nitrogen from organic sources includes animal feces and organisms, while nitrate is the most common form of inorganic nitrogen. Nitrate is tasteless and colorless, so it is important to test drinking water to determine the nitrate content. High concentrations can cause congenital disability and are toxic to livestock.
Phosphorus in Water
Phosphorus is essential for metabolic processes involving energy transfer. However, phosphorus restricts the growth of plants in water bodies, so adding only a small amount of phosphorus will cause plants to overgrow, which will deplete oxygen and affect fish and macroinvertebrates.
- Alfa Chemistry Laboratory management system in line with international standards.
- Alfa Chemistry has a variety of analysis and testing tools.
- Alfa Chemistry has a high-level, professional, and experienced technical team.
- Alfa Chemistry's detection cycle is short and the experiment procedure is perfect.
- ASTM D1426 - 15 Standard Test Methods for Ammonia Nitrogen In Water
- ASTM D1976 - 20 Standard Test Method for Elements in Water by Inductively-Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy
- ASTM D3590 - 17 Standard Test Methods for Total Kjeldahl Nitrogen in Water
- ASTM D6800 - 18 Standard Practice for Preparation of Water Samples Using Reductive Precipitation Preconcentration Technique for ICP-MS Analysis of Trace Metals
- ASTM D7597 - 16(2017) Standard Test Method for Determination of Diisopropyl Methylphosphonate, Ethyl Hydrogen Dimethylamidophosphate, Ethyl Methylphosphonic Acid, Isopropyl Methylphosphonic Acid, Methylphosphonic Acid and Pinacolyl Methylphosphonic Acid in Water by Liquid Chromatography/Tandem Mass Spectrometry
Our environmental experts are always ready to test the nutrients in the water for you. We can test a range of nutrients and provide fast and accurate results for private companies, environmental consultants, and municipalities.
Please contact our team for more information on how we can help.