Hydrocarbons are common in rainwater and sewage, which can float freely, emulsify, or be absorbed by suspended solids. There are many reasons for the discovery of hydrocarbon residues in the environment—from historical activities like gas works and sites where fuel tanks were stored to ongoing monitoring of current activities that may see fuels and oils moving into the environment.
Testing and analysis of hydrocarbons is an indispensable part of environmental protection. Finding a supplier with a reputation for delivering consistent and tried-and-tested results is essential for any serious organization. Alfa Chemistry can perform hydrocarbon testing and analysis for environmental consultants, energy markets, and municipalities to analyze the concentration of hydrocarbons and ensure that they meet regulatory guidelines.
Why Choose Us?
With years of experience, Alfa Chemistry is at the forefront of providing trusted hydrocarbon testing and analysis services. Using the latest cutting-edge technology and facilities, we can generate detailed composition information about the molecular and elemental composition of hydrocarbons in your samples.
- We can use high-resolution gas chromatography for analysis. Alternatively, it can be combined with several other technologies such as inductively-coupled plasma and mass spectrometry to create an integrated system.
- Our laboratory follows the official ASTM and other recognized industry standard tests and procedures. We can also use established internal methods or use methods specified by your organization.
- Our world-class consultants, engineers, and chemists are supported by centers of excellence and cutting-edge laboratories in many countries to ensure that a full range of exploration and production services are provided where you need them most.
Our Testing Capabilities
Hydrocarbons in water
Hydrocarbons in the water may come from leaks, however, low concentrations in industrial sectors, manufacturing, power plants, and municipal wastewater lead to low levels and sustained release.
Our state-of-the-art laboratory can use solvent extraction to measure high and low concentrations of hydrocarbons, and then use gas chromatography (GC) with flame ionization detector (FID) and mass spectrometry detectors for volatile compounds (MSD).
Hydrocarbons in soil
The pollution of soil by hydrocarbons is becoming more and more common around the world. Hydrocarbons penetrate into the groundwater through contaminated soil, then enter the human food chain and spread in the environment.
- ASTM D2580 - 06(2012) Standard Test Method for Phenols in Water by Gas-Liquid Chromatography (Withdrawn 2021)
- ASTM D3695 - 95(2013) Standard Test Method for Volatile Alcohols in Water by Direct Aqueous-Injection Gas Chromatography
- ASTM D5315 - 04(2017)e1 Standard Test Method for Determination of N-Methyl-Carbamoyloximes and N-Methylcarbamates in Water by Direct Aqueous Injection HPLC with Post-Column Derivatization
- ASTM D5316 - 98(2017) Standard Test Method for 1,2-Dibromoethane and 1,2-Dibromo-3-Chloropropane in Water by Microextraction and Gas Chromatography
With us as your hydrocarbon testing partner, we will help you realize the full potential of environmental protection. If you want to know more about hydrocarbon testing, please contact us.